Scope out 10 ways to help preserve the environment against pollution, global warming, and climate change. As the planet we live on continues to evolve, we need to adapt along with the changes in the environment.
Earth Day is in April, but being proactive year-round supports good habits to maintain. The act of staying within a sustainable mindset can increase the overall health of the environments we live in, as well as our personal health.
The following list is some useful ideas when supporting a sustainable environment.
- Request to have your paper bills be transferred over to online billing. Incorporate this method to other uses of paper. This helps support deforestation.
- Try growing your own organic garden. When we grow our on food it helps us get away from addictive smartphones and back in touch with nature. It also reduces multiple carbon footprints from going to a store to collect food.
- In addition, buy local food to reduce the distance from farm to fork. Buy straight from the farm, frequent your local farmers’ market, or join a local food co-op.
- Use a reusable water bottle (preferable made of glass) to make a big impact on your plastic consumption. Glass products are easily reused and paper is a much friendlier product to the environment.
- Save electricity and turn off lights when you leave the room. Think of other ways to reduce your electricity needs. It will help reduce cost as well.
- Be mindful of labels on products. Use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products to avoid washing toxic chemicals down the drain.
- If you have land or know someone that is a land owner, think about the idea of planting trees or request to plant trees on their land.
- Recycle items when possible. Try to do this at home, as well as when going out to public locations.
- Fight food waste by composting. The act of composting may be new to some individuals, but the more we reduce our footprints, the better for future generations. Work on leaving the land we live on better than when we found it.
- Talk with your friends and family about sustainable practices they perform. Communicate ways that you reduce, reuse, and recycle in your community.
Watch the following videos on YouTube for more information.